From Martinis to Mocktails
The beginning of a new year rings in aspirations of accomplishing new goals. It's like resetting the clock, leaving part of your old self behind, and bringing forth a version of you eager to make changes and improvements. For many, it's the opportunity to get back on track with their habits by creating new ones that will lead them to better outcomes, most commonly their health.
One trend that millions of Americans are hopping on board with is Dry January, where individuals are committing to a 30-day reset by putting down their alcoholic beverages in hopes of starting the year off on the right foot. In fact, supporters all over are hopping on social media to share their experiences and to invite others to enjoy the many benefits of taking the month of January off from drinking alcohol.
In 2023 alone, more than 260 million Americans pledged to take part in Dry January in hopes of detoxing and supporting their body. Whether participating in Dry January or just trying to give your body a healthy reset after the holiday season, everyone can benefit from this 30-day reset that truthfully can be done any month of the year. Here are some reasons why giving your body a 30-day reset is a great way to start the new year and how detoxifying teas and mocktails can boost your overall experience.
Ever experienced a restless night of sleep? Taking a pause from alcohol allows the body to get into the deepest sleep pattern called Rapid Eye Movement, or REM sleep, so your body can heal, restore, and repair during the night. As you watch your favorite TV show before bed, you may want to swap your glass of wine for a cup of zen chamomile tea or our handcrafted Deep Sleep tea blend to help you melt away the stress from the day and allow your body to unwind before curling up under the covers.
Whether you're drinking a glass of wine, sipping a martini, or enjoying an ice-cold beer, drinking alcohol is a natural sedative, causing your body's energy to be more lethargic. As you progress through Dry January, not only are you skipping out on your favorite alcoholic beverage, but you're allowing your gut to rest. Naturally, your liver and gut will detox, resulting in a more alert and energized body. On top of that, you'll have the energy and stamina to participate in additional fitness activities and keep up with life's day-to-day routine. If you need a little pick-me-up to sip throughout the day, we cannot say enough great things about our signature Detox Blend. Not only is it known for giving you that midday boost, but its cleansing and detoxifying properties to help support liver function are why we give it two thumbs up!
Setting aside alcohol for an entire month helps the body to reduce overall inflammation, which, as we all know, can lead to a variety of health-related conditions. Eliminating it from your daily routine, even for just 30 days, positively reduces the impact of free radicals on your body and gives the gut time to start to repair and heal. Many teas naturally have anti-inflammatory properties, which is one reason why they have been so popular throughout history. With this in mind, we highly suggest saying "yes" to a warm cup of ginger tea, a turmeric latte, or even chamomile tea.
Improve Blood Pressure
Individuals who have participated in Dry January in the past have shared that in just 30 short days, their blood pressure lowered as a result of swapping alcohol for other drinks of choice. At Cultivate Tea and Spice Company, we have two powerhouse teas, hibiscus tea and green tea, that are on a mission to do just that. Due to the antioxidants in both teas, they are specifically known for supporting the heart and lowering blood pressure. Now, that is something to toast to!
Shedding a few extra pounds is always one of the top New Year's resolutions across the globe. For those who followed through on their 30-day reset, kicking those sugary and high-calorie alcoholic drinks to the curb has resulted in weight loss on various levels based on each person's overall lifestyle. Feeling better in your favorite pair of jeans again or buttoning up those pants hidden in the back of your closet makes it worth the beverage swap. We encourage those who want to maximize their results to drink a cup of Oolong Tea, Black tea, or white tea daily.
Ready to make the swap?
Here are a few mocktails to which we would raise our glasses, and we think you will, too! Not only will your taste buds say thank you, but so will the rest of your body.
Ginger Hibiscus Spritzer
2 oz. chilled Grassroots Hibiscus Tea Concentrate
1 oz. fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
1 oz. Simple Syrup (Optional, If you like it sweeter)
3 oz. Ginger Beer (We like Bundaberg)
Garnish with a lime wheel or mint sprig
- To start, you will want to make the Grassroots Hibiscus Tea concentrate by steeping 2 tablespoons of tea in 1 cup of water at 200 degrees. Allow it 6 minutes to steep. Then, strain and chill.
- Mix Grassroots Hibiscus Tea concentrate with lime juice and simple syrup, if desired.
- Pour beverage over ice in rocks glass, then top it off with a chilled ginger beer.
- Add garnish as desired.
Lavender Honey Simple Syrup
1 cup Water
1 cup Honey
2 Tablespoons Lavender Blossoms
Zen Chamomile Tea
1 cup Water
1 Tbsp Zen Chamomile Tea
3 oz. chilled Zen Chamomile Tea
1 Tbsp Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice
1.5 oz. Lavender Honey Simple Syrup
- First, begin by making the Lavender Honey Simple Syrup by adding one cup of water and one cup of honey to a medium sized pot. Add 2 Tablespoons of lavender blossoms and heat while slowly stirring to dissolve. Once honey is fully dissolved, turn off heat, and let steep for 5 – 10 minutes. Cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- To steep the Zen Chamomile Tea, you will add one Tablespoon of tea to one cup of water at 190 degrees. Let it steep for 5 minutes, then put it in the refrigerator to cool.
- Fill tall narrow glass with desired amount of ice.
- Add chilled Zen Chamomile Tea, Lemon Juice, and Lavender Honey Syrup to the shaker with some ice and shake vigorously.
- Pour mixture over ice and top with soda water.
- Stir gently with a long cocktail spoon, and garnish as desired.
Jalapeño Matcha Margarita
Jalapeño-Infused Agave Syrup
1 cup Agave Nectar
1 cup water
1 chopped jalapeño
Jalapeño Matcha Margarita
1 tsp Matcha
1.5 oz Fresh-Squeezed Lime Juice
½ oz Orange Juice
1.5 oz Jalapeño-Infused Agave
Datil BBQ Rub
2 oz Zero-Proof Tequila (Optional. We use Ritual)
Jalapeño, Lime Wheel, or Datil BBQ Rub Rim (as garnish)
- You will begin to prep by making the Jalapeño-Infused Agave Syrup. Add one cup agave nectar, 1 cup water, and 1 chopped jalapeno to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Then, chill in the refrigerator.
- When syrup is cooled, whisk 1 teaspoon of matcha in 2.5 oz water until well mixed and light froth forms on top.
- Pour a bit of simple syrup on a plate and sprinkle a thin layer of Datil BBQ Rub on a second plate.
- Dip the rim of glass in simple syrup, then into the Datil BBQ Rub to create a spiced rim.
- Fill the glass with desired amount of ice
- Add 2 oz of fresh lime juice, ½ oz orange juice, 1 oz Jalapeño Simple Syrup, and 2 oz zero proof tequila (if using) to a shaker with ice.
- Strain over ice in your spice rimmed glass. Garnish, as desired.
At the end of Dry January or your personal reset, we hope you feel reinvigorated, more energetic, and have a sense of accomplishment. The beauty of this reset is that you are not stuck to it for an entire year, but it is easily accomplished in just 30 short days. Cheers to putting down your wine glasses and beer mugs and saying yes to teas and mocktails… and, of course, a happier, healthier you!