Mama's Molasses Cookies
- ¾ cup melted shortening or softened butter
- 1 cup sugar + 1/3 cup more to use when rolling cookies
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
1. Whisk the flour, baking soda, Pumpkin Pie Spice, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes. If you don’t have a mixer, you can mix with a spoon, but you will get a work-out! Add the molasses and beat until combined. Then add the egg and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
3. On low speed, (or manually mix with large spoon) slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be slightly sticky. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour and up to 2-3 days.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
5. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. The cookies may not spread in the oven if the dough is that cold. Roll cookie dough into balls, slightly smaller than a golf ball. Roll each in granulated sugar and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges appear set. The tops should start to appear cracked.
6. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.